Skip to main content

Spotlight on...Mabel Harriette Cross, Suffragist

Usually referred to as Mrs W C H Cross, she was born Mabel Harriette Duncan in Bristol in 1872. Her mother was Adelaide, and her father, Edward Duncan, was a tea wholesaler. In the 1880s the family were living in Westbury-on-Trym near Bristol. By the time of the 1901 Census the family had moved to Clifton. Mabel does not appear with them on the Census however, and it is possible that at this time she was training or working as a nurse. A Mabel Duncan is recorded on the 1901 Census as a “sick nurse” in Weston-Super-Mare. At some point Mabel was a district nurse in London.

She was back in Bristol in the early 1900s when she was honorary secretary of the Women’s Reform Union (WRU). The WRU had been formed by Quaker sisters and suffragists Anna Maria and Mary Priestman. In 1908 Mabel Duncan and Sarah Jane Tanner organised a Bristol WRU contingent to join the NUWSS procession on 13 June which culminated in a meeting in the Albert Hall in London. 


Mrs Millicent Garrett Fawcett (second woman from left) and other leaders at the NUWSS procession 13 June 1908

In 1908 Mabel Duncan married William Charles Henry Cross (1855-1936). William was born in Merriott, Somerset (near Crewkerne). His father was rector of Merriott, but by 1881 his mother, Caroline Mary, was a widow. At this time the Cross family was living in Westbury-on-Trym, as were the Duncans. Both families were reasonably well off, each employing two servants. Ten years later, William had qualified as a solicitor and lived in Clifton, where he and Mabel settled after their marriage.

Mabel and William were active in the Liberal party, and prominent in the local women’s suffrage campaign. The WRU and the Bristol branch of the National Union of Women’s Suffrage Societies (NUWSS) amalgamated in 1909. They had been working jointly for some time previously, holding outdoor meetings on the Downs and the Horsefair, as well as in the Victoria Rooms. Mabel Cross became joint honorary secretary of the Bristol suffrage society with Sarah Tanner until 1913, after which she held the post alone. Her sister, Maud, was also active in the NUWSS.

In 1909 Mabel was stage manager for the performance in Keynsham of a suffrage play called Man and Woman by suffragist Mary Jane Ward (1851-1933). She also continued to speak at meetings in and around Bristol, including at a large demonstration on Durdham Down in 1910.

In 1913 she was a member of the executive committee of the West of England Federation of Suffrage Societies, and organising secretary for the West of England section of the Women’s Suffrage Pilgrimage. As pilgrims, she and Sarah Jane Tanner were attacked by an anti-suffrage mob in Twerton, Bath. Sarah Jane Tanner was knocked down and badly bruised. Mabel Cross hid in a nearby house and escaped from the back disguised as a man.

During the First World War she was superintendent of a maternity centre and mothers’ school in Bedminster, Bristol. She gave talks at Co-operative meetings, Patriotic Societies and Bristol Women’s Liberal Society meetings on health, infant welfare and the need for women police and magistrates. In 1915 she interviewed nurses from the west of England and Wales for the Scottish Women’s Hospital Unit, and organised the seeing off of nurses, transports and supplies. She was also chair of a committee formed to set up a hostel in Bristol for women workers. 

Scottish Women's Hospitals unit in Rumania

In 1918 the Bristol NUWSS recognised her contribution to women’s suffrage by presenting her with an attaché case and an antique limerick lace scarf and collar. Perhaps this is the train of limerick lace she lent to her daughter, Mary, when she married Robert George Randall of Guernsey in 1929. When the NUWSS changed its name to the National Union of Societies for Equal Citizenship in 1919 Mabel Cross was appointed secretary of the Bristol branch. She was president of the Bristol Women’s Liberal Association in 1921, and a founder member of the Bristol Venture Club: the Venture Club went on to become the Soroptimists.

William Cross died in 1936. After his death, Mabel went to live in Guernsey. She died there in 1940. 

 

Picture Credits:-

Mrs Millicent Garrett Fawcett and others at NUWSS Procession 13 June 1908 - Women's Library on Flickr, No Known Copyright Restrictions

Scottish Women's Hospitals Unit in Rumania - Women's Library on Flickr, No Known Copyright Restrictions

 

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dickens and Chickens

On 17 April 1860, in fields near Farnborough, Charles Dickens joined an audience amongst whom were the Prince of Wales and the Prime Minister, Lord Palmerston, as well as a number of MPs and clergymen, to watch the American John Carmel Heenan and England’s Tom Sayers (the Brighton Titch) beat one another blind and bloody in a bare-knuckle fight that lasted nearly two and a half hours. The fight ended in a draw when Aldershot police stormed the ring, forcing the fighters and their illustrious spectators to flee the scene. It was the brutality of this match that signalled an end to the bare-knuckle era and prompted the development of the Marquess of Queensberry’s rules. Dickens’s interest in pugilism was of long standing. In 1848 Dombey and Son , which had been published in serial form over the preceding two years, came out in book form. One of many of his novels that draws on the world of the prize fighter, it introduces the unforgettable Mr Toots, a would-be man about town, an

Spotlight On...Begbrook House, Frenchay, Bristol

On 11 November 1913, the head gardener at Begbrook House in Frenchay near Bristol discovered that the   building was on fire. The house stood in its own wooded grounds, and was said to have twenty rooms and a fine old staircase. Within a few hours the house was gutted. The fire caused £3,000 worth of damage. A copy of the WSPU newspaper, The Suffragette , was left at the site with the message, “Birrell is coming. Rachel Pease is still being tortured”.  Begbrook House Picture: Frenchay Village Museum Augustine Birrell was the Liberal MP for Bristol North, and a cabinet minister. He was frequently targetted by militants in Bristol. Suffragettes interrupted his meetings and two women once accosted him at Temple Meads Railway Station with their demand for the vote.    Begbrook House belonged to Hugh Thomas Coles, a wealthy banker. Hugh Coles was the son of   William Gale Cole of Clifton, who was also a banker, and was born in Clifton in 1856. Lik

The Bristol Boys: The Bare Knuckle Champions and The Hatchet Inn

The Hatchet Inn on Frogmore Street in Bristol is all that remains of a row of seventeenth-century timbered houses dating back to 1606 – making it one of the city’s oldest pubs. It was substantially altered in the 1960s, and these days it stands on a traffic island. But at one time it boasted extensive grounds – and amongst the facilities on offer was a bare-knuckle boxing ring. Plaque at The Hatchet Inn, Bristol The pub’s connection with Bristol’s boxing heroes is commemorated in a plaque illustrating five of Bristol’s champions – one of whom, Hen Pearce, features in Bloodie Bones: A Dan Foster Mystery. Hen Pearce (Detail) Bristol born Hen Pearce, The Game Chicken (1777 – 1809), a former butcher’s boy, became champion of England in 1805. He was a hero inside and outside the ring. In 1807 he climbed onto the roof of a building in Thomas Street, Bristol to rescue a servant girl from a fire. Always a popular figure, this courageous act inspired many eulogies in pr